Friday, May 28, 2010

State of Origin - QLD Pies vs NSW Pies

My apologies for the lack in posts; I've been a little tied up with a whole load of stuff, from boring courses/exams to me and Yoshi's "Save the Date" project and also the new acquisition of my canon Kiss X3.

Our "Save the Date" poster


I've always wanted the 50d but due to the GFC I've made do with one more "0" which is the 500d. But I have no regrets; it is still one piece of awesome technology; can't complaint(because I Love It) ; back to the Pies...


Anyways, I've been longing to try Harry's Cafe' de Wheels for ages; famous for their pies and hot dogs. In my first trip to Sydney a few years ago, we didn't have much time so I had to give the pies a miss. However this time around I had to try it. Many famous celebrities has popped by this Iconic stall for a bite, people from the Colonel of Chicken Sanders to my hero Anthony Bourdain.





Both me and Yoshi ordered the signature dish which was "Harry's Tiger"; the mash potato and peas was just delightful and wonderfully creamy. The pie was alright and was everything a pie should be; however the NSW iconic pie tasted rather commercial, like it came out from a factory.In my view, I think the QLD crew at "Yatala Pies " would give Mr Harry a good fight with their melt in your mouth cheesy pie that leaves you with a chronic sense of wanting more. Being State of Origin Season , ie Rugby League; Its NSW vs QLD.






In my books; Harry's Cafe's Mash potatoes & peas & gravy is unbeatable but the pies at Yatala Pies is at a different level . Being a pie fight, I declare Yatala the winner; thats QLD 1 , NSW Nil.


Harry's Cafe de Wheels
Location : Cowper Wharf Rd, Woolloomooloo NSW
Yatala Pie
Location: 48 Old Pacific Hwy, Yatala QLD
Which one do you think looks better?

11 comments:

Leslie Uhl said...

Great pics! Will have to try the pies myself someday when I get to Australia...

Cook with Madin said...

Yes, I noticed no post from you in a while. Love your pictures. I may try those pies and hot dogs someday when we get a chance to go there. Thank you for sharing

Linda's Yummies said...

I want to everything you took photos of! Good stuff...

chow and chatter said...

looks good your snaps are always first class, Ron if you have a chance a would adore a guest post your blog is cool

Rebecca

rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great shots! Those pies look wonderful. Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Fresh Local and Best said...

Those hot dogs look delish!

Mimi said...

Looks tasty.
Mimi

MONONOKE KITCHEN said...

Beautiful shots, Ron,
everything looks neat!

That's Ron said...

@Leslie Uhl: for sure! It's a must
@Cook with Madin: thanks!
@Linda's Yummies: haha, I feel like a pie now
@Rebecca: I would love too!
@Rossa:It is really yummy
@Fresh Locals:The hot dogs actually was better that the pie
@Mimi: it sure was
@Mononoke: owh thanks

lechua said...

i like the save the date poster.. it's cute... congrats!

A. Rizzi said...

that mayo dog looks intense!