Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hello: North Carolina



Blue Ridge Mountain

Through blogging I've been all around the world and met so many people from all over. One of which is Rebecca from Chow & Chatter. Shes a dietitian, blogger extraordinaire. A while ago i did a Guest Post on her blog, and I thought I would be nice to have her over at T
hatsSoRon. So an e-mail was sent and here she is... showing us her back yard!


"It was a joy to me when Ron asked me to guest post for him. I always have fond memories of his guest post for chow and chatter about chilly brissy with snaps of his city and statues with scarfs on them.

I smile as we plan to visit Australia this month unfortunately we won't make it to Brisbane. For the guest post I decided to share some snap shots of North Carolina the State where we live in America. I have lived in the US now for 7 years and now live in Winston Salem NC. I am British and my husband is Indian we moved here for his medical residency. I am a dietitian but stay home with our toddler now and blog and offer social media coaching mostly for dietitians.


I highly recommend living in a different country if you have the chance it's fascinating to experience a new culture and explore.North Carolina as a state I would say is quite up and coming with growing cities such and Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Winston Salem also Asheville in the mountains. The Raleigh Durham area has great universities and wonderful research. North Carolina has the beautiful blue ridge mountains in the west (see pictures ) and a pretty coastline in the east.


The area where we live reminds me a little of home it has great seasons and green rolling hills. Winston Salem was actually settled around 390 years ago by the Moravians from eastern Europe who bought a tract of land from the British they have a rich culture and food traditions.

With German inspired food and in particular Moravian cookies famous at Christmas time. No visit to Winston Salem the twin city would be complete without a visit to old Salem a beautiful and historic section of town with old buildings and a living Museum about the Moravian people. Next to old Salem is Winston downtown with office buildings art galleries a new ball park and restaurants. The restaurant scene here is so so but we have traveled extensively and have spoilt palates if visiting the state I would say Durham is the up and coming foodie city.


Winston Salem was built on tobacco and has a lot of old money with gorgeous neighborhoods like buena vista lovely tree lined streets mansions and parks. The wake forest university has a gorgeous garden called reynolda gardens with a greenhouse, rose garden and vegetable garden it again reminds me of home and is my favorite place to take a stroll. Two new foodie ventures the state is going into are vineyards complete with goods wine and restaurants and folks planting black truffle orchards !


Jasmine playing at Sci works museum with her British grandparents

The people in the South are warm and friendly and I highly recommend a visit to this pretty state, be sure to sample fried chicken, biscuits, collard greens, cornbread and Southern food. But also the fusion of other cultures as folks from around the world make their home here."

Thanks Rebecca for sneak peak of Winston Salem.

More of Chow & Chatter @ http://www.chowandchatter.com/

My Guest Post @ Chow & Chatter

Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to visit the States.

22 comments:

Edible Art said...

great post (:
i enjoyed reading this, and the landscape photographs are breathtaking ~

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Thanks for your visit I love your blog!

Barbara said...

Nice guest post, Ron and Rebecca. North Carolina is indeed a lovely state. It was nice to learn even more about you and the photos are marvelous and show off your state beautifully!

chow and chatter said...

thanks again Ron for asking me to guest post was fun to share the part of the World I live in

Rebecca

Belinda @zomppa said...

Yay to NC!! Thanks for sharing more about Winston-Salem. Durham IS THE FOOD CENTER! =) I'm biased, as you know....right in between the beaches and the mountains.

ann low said...

Great guest from Rebecca :) From the photos I can sees NC is a beautiful place that I'll definitely like to visit on my next trip to US.

Swathi said...

Great post Rebecca. North carolina is a beautiful state, love to visit one day.

muppy said...

How beautiful are those photos, I love being transported to other places.

Tina said...

I liked the post very much, great photos too!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

How fun. Thanks Ron for sharing our friend Rebecca and the place she and I both call home - North Carolina. She lives on one side of the state and I on the other.
Sam

La Bella Cooks said...

How fantastic! I just love Rebecca and now she has me wanting to visit her great state. Such rich history there in the south that I find intriguing.

amanda archambault said...

OH I love blueridge! I go there a lot because my father has stuff in an art gallery there.
Small world haha
Great post! Thanks for sharing,
Follow me and I'll follow you!
Toppedoffwitharedhat.blogspot.com
Visit and enter Best Dressed for March!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I'm glad to see pictures of Winston Salem, it is so pretty! I'm also excited about the truffle orchards that are being planted, it gives me a big incentive to visit.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So beautiful! What a peaceful place.

Cheers,

Rosa

Lorraine said...

North Carolina looks so beautiful. I would love to visit some day. Great pictures:)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks for this great guest post, this is a beautiful place, hope I'm able to visit one day.

MONONOKE KITCHEN said...

Beautiful pics!
Gong Xi Fa Chai, Ron!

Joanne said...

Oh I adore Rebecca! What a fun post!

Magic of Spice said...

What gorgeous pictures! Lovely guest post :)

Gastronomy Gal said...

ahh- some gorgeous Photos. Winston seems like such an interesting area.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs!

That's Ron said...

thanks for stopping by... big thanks to Rebecca for the post